Monday 19 March 2012

Mindy's adventure.....

We had our first try at flyball tonight.
We waited until the beginner class was finished and just had about 10 mins to ourself with Louise our trainer.

Whilst we were outide waiting Mindy was understandably a bit worried,although she's been here nearly 2 years,and is used to meeting dogs on walks,and at work.She is not used to excited barking dogs,and the noise plus the smells made her a little unsure.

She really does have a lovely nature,when she had her tail tucked as she was sniffing about outside,as soon as someone came out,her tail was up and a waggin',and she was desperate to say hello :)

From seeing her outside,I didn't expect to get anything out of her inside,and would have been happy just getting her used to the environment which was an equestrian centre,which in the nearly 2 years I've had her she's never experienced.

We did get her tugging a bit,and she would chase a tennis ball.She was happier to chase the tug than she was to tug it,but that's cool,we can develop her desire to tug.

She did 2 jumps in a row running after me to the tug,and just went and put her feet on the box a couple of times.

I need to put some time into getting Mindy tug and ball mad,she will play with both at home,but as per her foster agreement she's not allowed off lead in public,I've been lazy at playing with her away from home.Now I have a purpose to do so with her,and it'll be lovely to work with her and build a stronger relationship with her :)

The 2 things which she really needs is drive for tugging,and drive to a static tennis ball,I can't wait till tommorow to get started!!

I don't care if it takes months to get her to the place where I could 'my' dogs in weeks.
This is gonna be an adventure just for me and Mindy :)

2 comments:

  1. Glad you guys had a fun time at flyball. Training that tug drive is really the important thing! I personally prefer a dog who, while willing to pick up a ball and carry it, could care less about it.

    And I do have to question a training class that allowed your dog to put their feet on the box a few times in the first class... Were you desensitizing her to the box, or actually doing training to get her on the box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh ok cool,that's helpful to know you are more interested in the tugging.
    We were just desensitising her to the box,not trying to teaching her to get on it.

    ReplyDelete