Saturday 17 March 2012

Flyball revisited...

So I've been wanting for quite a while to train a dog in flyball.After reading several blogs about flyball dogs,I came to realise just how difficult it must be to train a flyball dog,right to the point where it is ready to compete.
Training a dog to go and get a ball from a machine,yep easy I thought,and when I tried it with Mookie,yes it was.
What I hadn't considered was all the other stuff which goes into getting the dog,and you ready to actually compete.
The dog having to concentate in that hyper stimulating environment,the passes,they have got to be hard for both dog and handler to achieve correctly,and I'm sure there's more that I haven't even thought of.

Mookie has tried it,and enjoyed it,and I'm sure Floozie and Shady would too.They're all very driven dogs who love ball and tug,and working for me.
But I don't want to do it with my agility dogs.
Then I considered Bug,but realistically,I don't have the working relationship with him which I would like,and don't want to 'steal' him from Pete,by training with him.So I thought I was destined to maybe never getting a go at flyball.

Then finally I realised that here in our midst,is a potential flyball dog who I'd completely overlooked,and a jaw droppingly fast dog at that.
Mindy!!!



Look at her,the girl is built for speed,her acceleration from a stand still is phenomenal.

I will need to work on her reactivity around other dogs,so I've asked for some private lessons if she can't concentrate around the other dogs,but we'll see how we go.
Longer term I would love it if Pete would join in with Bug.Bug is not ecspecially fast,but it would be great for him to have a job to do,he's a smart boy,who is some what wasted just being a pet.Plus I think Pete would like flyball more than agility.

We'll see how we go,but I can't wait for the weekend to be finished so we can go to flyball class!!
I know I am going to be knackered on Mon eve.I have 3 agility classes back to back with Floozie,Shady and Mookie,then have to drive for an hour to get to flyball,at least I should have a good nights sleep on Mon :)

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! Good luck, and I hope you have tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks I'm really excited! I haven't heard back with an address though I lost the girls number and had to contact her by facebook,which I know she doesn't look at that much,I hope she sees it in time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and your blog is one that inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete