Saturday 19 May 2012

More training....

I have lots of homework to work on fro the contacts workshop I took part in this morning.
My main problem is that I haven't worked contacts from behind enough,it is a short falling in all my dogs,and one which I plan to change.
I need to build more forward focus into their end position,something I have neglected in Floozie ecspecially,she lacks forward focus on all equipment really.
Its something I did teach her,but then clearly forgot to keep doing.
The dogs need to look toward which ever obstacle I am pointing at if they are in a wait,meaning I will be able to get to any angle when I leave them in a wait on the start line,but they will focus on the equipment I want them to take,and not at me.
Its easy to teach,so I don't know why I haven't been doing it?!

Another problem I have spotted in Floozie lately is related to coming into my side,ecspecially my right to sit on the line.
I realised recently she was looking a bit stressed when I was leaving her to wait.Sometimes getting up and shaking,sometimes going from her sit to a down.
Then I realised why.Its not the waiting,she has been heavily reinforced for that.Its that I pretty much always lure her into my side with a treat,and when I don't she comes in crooked,and I faff around with her,sometimes physically putting her straight.
This clearly makes no sense to her,she is not a dog I lure alot.She has been shaped alot,she likes and I would say needs to figure it out for herself,and then she is clear on it.
So I have been getting her into either side more,on walks,or just at home,and have given my right side the cue of side,she understands 'get in' as the cue for the left.
Funny how I did the exact same thing for Shady and Mookie,and they are perfectly happy to come in tight on either side,just with me patting either hip,no words needed.

That's such a simple thing to teach,why do I neglect such basic things?!!?!?

We have several games to play on the contacts,so no doubt Becky and I will work on them once we get back from camp. :)

I'm supposed to be going to a show tommorow,running Mookie,and its really local,but if I go to work I'll have more money to take to camp!Decisions,decisions!

No comments:

Post a Comment