Sunday 6 May 2012

Catching up...

I have a quick snap I took on Fri morning when I took all of my gang over to play with the Newfies,I dragged all of mine around all day lol,every where I went,along they all came! It made for some very sleepy dogs when I got home in the evening:)
I've been to a UKA show today,I am shattered,even Floozie is tired out,she had 3 runs today,which is the first time she's had 3 runs at a show.
 She was brilliant,fantastic contacts,fast and accurate,and my behaviour around the contacts is good now too.I run straight past,go back in and tug with the dog,but then I would often just release them,so I was making a habit,a chain of behaviours which would in a small amount of time mean that the dog would learn to release after those 2 'prompts' from me.
 Today I remembered to keep things varied,so I went back in to reward them (tug),and then I ran back out and flung my arm about a bit lol,both girls were excellent,yay,I am on my way to conquering my contact problem!Woo hoo :)
 I ran Flooz in 2 seperate steeplechase rounds.(Jumps and tunnels only)I ran all my runs NFC (not for competition)so I could reward with a toy in the ring.I am all about the long term goal these days,I did Shady no favours by only concentrating on the short term.
 The first steeplechase I rewarded half way through,after the tightest turn,then again over the finish jump.But really I could have completed the course with no breaking it down.
The second steeplchase I forgot to reward her in the run,so it ended up accidentally being her first complete run at a show :)My friend Abbie also ran her little working Cocker bitch 'Wiggy' after me NFC too,and one of the ring party came out of the ring afterwards to tell us we had the 2 fastest times in the class :) It was Wiggy's first show,so her and Abbie had done brilliantly :)
 I just did one class with Mookie,an agility run so I could reward her contacts. The problem I have with Mookie in a show is that I have confused my criteria,and therefore her understanding of the behaviour I want in shows. I have done this by being an idiot and releasing her early on some of her contacts.
But NO more!! I had decided to go back in and reward the first contact,then just verbally reward the 2nd,and see what happended on the third,its when I haven't rewarded one that she then creeps down the next one,unsure of what I want. She didn't quite get into position on the 2nd,so I waited till she did,told her she was wonderful,and went on to do the next which was the seesaw,which she got fast and accurate,and I went back in and tugged for her reward.:)She got the course nicely too,but it was very easy.
 Shady came along for a day out,and had a lovely time.I had a really good time,Abbie won her steeplechase with Oggie,and Liv got a 3rd with Leo,her young Collie. I have a KC show tommorow,but I also have a sore throat,so I'll have to see in the morning how i feel,and if I can drag myself out of bed or not! No vids from today cos my videographer was having a day off! (ahemm Becky!)

No comments:

Post a Comment